February 28, 2006 | | Comments 21

Egg Custard Tarts

Better an egg this year than a chicken next year.
~ Ethiopian Proverb

I made a small batch of Egg Custard Tarts. The boys love the tarts and can eat three at a go. This is a sure-fire way to get them snacking frequently. It takes about 35 minutes to make a small batch of eight tarts.

If you like this recipe, you should also check out the recipe on Kuejadas (Portuguese Tart).

_MG_3386_edited-1.jpg

Ingredients:

Here are the ingredients to make 8 tarts:

• 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoon superfine (castor) sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 8 tart shell

_MG_3367_edited-2.jpg
Instructions:

_MG_3369_edited-1.jpgCrack the egg into the milk.
_MG_3371_edited-1.jpgAdd the sugar into the mix.
_MG_3374_edited-1.jpgBeat the mixture until it is smooth.
_MG_3379_edited-1.jpgPour the mixture into the tarts, leaving 1/4″ at the top.
_MG_3381_edited-1.jpgI use a toaster oven to make the tarts. For some reason I have never been consistent using the conventional ovens. Anyway, pre-heat the oven to 425 F. Bake the egg custard tarts for approximately 10 minutes and the reduce the heat to 400 F. Bake for another 10-15 minutes until the custard has set.
_MG_3384_edited-1.jpgYou will know it is done when the knife placed in the middle comes out clean.
45 people like this post. Click yellow thumbie on the left if you like this post too.

Categorized Under: KuihPastry

1. Dr.John says:

Thanks for the receipe. I do a little cooking and always love Gram’s custard pie. This looks easy enough , even for me. Thanks again

2. mary ann says:

I can’t decide if that sounds appetizing or revolting. You are right, they do look easy enough to make… maybe I should try it.

3. Oneofakindoddball says:

those look so good :)

4. Anji says:

I love egg custard tarts, we can’t get them here but I see the tart shell packet is in French. I’ll have to look out for them and try your recipe

5. Rosa says:

Great looking site. Congrats!! I’ll change your address on my Links.

6. lilian says:

Hi! I found your link from technorati. Tks!

It is great you can find prepared tart casings. I don’t think we have that over here in Malaysia. Beautiful tarts you got there.

7. polly says:

Wow! I didn’t know that, just one egg can make out 8 egg tarts!!!! and it look so simple for me. Well, I’ll try it one day. Thanks for the receipe.

Surprised, right? Polly? I think your family will like it. My boys loves it a lot and it’s all gone within hours.

9. yvonnemsani says:

This looks very easy to make thank you. I love milk tarts very much.

10. james says:

the egg custards are a paining the arse because i carnt get them just right. but they s
    taste fuking lovely wen dun right!!

11. quasimeza says:

I’m trying to get something like Lionel’s custard tarts. From “As time Goes By”? Could this be the answer???

12. [...] worrying about olives or small cubes of cheese! My repetoire so far: Berry lemon clafouti, custard, egg custard tarts, gnocchi with blue cheese sauce, vinaigrette dressing, not to mention how to seperate the egg yolk [...]

13. Ooh! Egg Tarts! I love egg tarts! or in cantonese, daan taat. But I see it’s a little bit too white. what I would suggest doing is to add more egg yolks for color and texture!

~~~~Michael

14. Angela says:

Is this more like a milk tart than an egg tart? I’m looking for a milk tart recipe, like the kind you can get in Hong Kong, and the colour of your tarts looks like those of milk tarts.

15. Susan says:

Hi Suanne,
    I tried this recipe today and I followed every step you showed.The thing is yours looked so fine but mine the egg custard actually caved in after I took them out from the oven.May I know what went wrong here?
    Thanks for the great easy recipe!

Hi Susan, my egg custard tarts did deflate after I took them out from the oven. Try to fill the tart with a bit more filing next time.

17. flown says:

hi suanne,
    i was wondering if i can replace the superfine (castor) sugar with regular sugar or icing sugar?

18. [...] Egg Custard Tarts – 18 comments [...]

19. [...] Chinese Custard Egg Tarts adapted from Chow Times [...]

20. winnie ng says:

It’s great for your sharings of the easily made egg-tart. Where can we buy the shell. We are in San Jose/San Francico, California.

Thanksss so much.