April 03, 2006 | | Comments 9

Sweet Potato Soup (Fun Shee Tong Sui)

I like Tong Sui which is the Chinese sweet dessert soup. There are many type of tong sui. Some takes a lot of steps and others are very simple. The sweet potato soup is very easy and fast to make — just took me 20 minutes.

Back in the days where I grew up in Malaysia, sweet potato are basically eaten by poor people. I recall my parents telling that during the second world war, people survived on these stuff because it was easy to grow. In Canada, sweet potatoes are referred to as yams.

Fan Shee Tong Sui

• 3 pieces of sweet potato
  • 1 brown sugar slab (for sweetness)
  • 2 pandan leaves (for flavor)

IMG_4011_edited-1.jpg

Peel the skin off from the sweet potatoes and cut it into bit-sized chunks. I tie a knot on the pandan leaves so that I can easily remove it after the soup is cooked.

IMG_4024_edited-1.jpg

Drop a piece of brown sugar slab into a pot of boiling water. I use three cups of water.

IMG_4025_edited-1.jpg

I then just pour everything into the pot and boil it for 15 minutes. That’s it — sweet and simple.

Fan Shee Tong Sui

22 people like this post. Click yellow thumbie on the left if you like this post too.

Categorized Under: DessertSweet Potato (Yam)

1. shirley says:

Yum! My parents make a delicious version of this soup – I can almost taste it when looking at your pictures. :)

Hi Shirley:
    Try and make it yourself … it’s very simple as you can see. :-)
    Suanne

3. Chow Wai Ling says:

For added taste, I add slices of ginger :)

4. Dan says:

Sweet potatoes and yams are different. Sweet potatoes have yellow flesh; Yams have red flesh and can grow very large. Sweet potatoes are also much more nutritious.
    I think your soup is made of yams.
    Click on my URL for the link.
    Can’t wait to try it though! :)

5. xXkimchiXx says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Its easy and tasty. By the way, I’m trying to make a dessert with honeydew and sago. Do you have it. Can you share it with me? Thanks a lot!

6. anonymous says:

Are gingers alternate recipe for this tong shui? I preferred those with gingers though.

7. Zarina says:

Hi…u can find pandan leaves in Vancouver?…Argh…I’m just a few hours away in Seattle and I’ve been searching high and low but sadly not to be found.:( Where do u get it in Vancouver?

Hi Zarina, you can find fresh pandan leaves in Vancouver Chinatown. But, I usually buy frozen ones from a Filipino groceries stores in Richmond which is near where I live.

8. [...] it’s fragrance into the dessert. It is normally discarded after the dish is made like this Sweet Potato Soup. Pandan leaves are also used as a natural green food [...]