May 21, 2006 | | Comments 48

Shredded Dried Pork (a.k.a. Meat Floss)

UPDATE ON 07-NOV-2009: We now have the recipe for making Pork Floss from scratch. Here is the Recipe for Pork Floss.

UPDATE ON 22-MAY-2006: He he he … guess the name Meat Floss sounds disgusting to some people. So, I have used a better sounding name for the entry … Shredded Dried Pork. Happy? :-)

Meat Floss Shredded Dried Pork (also known as Rousong and Yoke Song in Mandarin and Cantonese respectively) is a dried chinese meat item that is commonly used as a topping for many foods. There are many variants of the Meat Floss Shredded Dried Pork with the most common one being Pork Floss.

In Vancouver, the Meat Floss product seems pretty dominated by the Soo Singapore Jerky company. You will be able to find these Meat Floss Shredded Dried Pork in just about any Asian grocery stores. I believe they make Meat Floss Shredded Dried Pork and other Asian jerky products under a few brand names. Their most famous brand is Soo. We have seen the Soo’s brand getting more expensive over the year. It’s now about $10 for a jar of 454g (about 1lb).

We bought a cheaper version. It’s branded as Pork Sung and the label said that it’s made by Soo Singapore Jerky too. The 340g jar below costs only $5.58.

_MG_5027_edited-1.jpg

Wikipedia describes the how Meat Floss Shredded Dried Pork are made as follows:

Meat Floss Shredded Dried Pork is made by stewing cheap cuts of pork in a sweetened soy sauce mixture until individual muscle fibres can be easily teased apart with a fork. This usually happens when the collagen and elastin that normally hold the fibres have been cooked out of the meat. The teased-apart meat is then strained and dried in the oven. After a light drying, the meat is mashed and beaten while being dry cooked in a large wok until it is completely dry. Additional flavourings are usually added while the mixture is being dry fried. 5 kg of meat will usually produce about 1 kg of rousong.

Meat Floss Shredded Dried Pork has a light and fluffy texture quite similar to coarse cotton. It can be eaten just as a snack. It comes in soft or crisp versions. For snacking, I recommend the crisp version. Some are flavoured with sesame seed and seaweed.

_MG_5029_edited-1.jpg

It goes well too with rice porridge. However, I find that the taste of the Meat Floss Shredded Dried Pork gets drowned out unless you put in a lot of it.

_MG_5031_edited-1.jpg

I prefer Meat Floss Shredded Dried Pork with rice. You should use pretty dry and cold rice. Mix it well into the rice and that’s a quick meal — not very balanced though but still a nice meal nevertheless.

IMG_5084_edited-1.jpg

We also make sandwiches with Meat Floss Shredded Dried Pork. The ones below are made using a sandwich maker which helps seals in the Meat Floss Shredded Dried Pork in the sandwich.

_MG_5050_edited-1.jpg

Suanne has the instructions below on making the Meat Floss Shredded Dried Pork Sandwich in the link below.

• slice bread
  • butter or margarine
  • Pork Sung
  • shredded cheese

_MG_5037_edited-1.jpg

_MG_5038_edited-1.jpgPreheat the sandwich maker for about 5 minutes.Butter 4 slices of bread.
_MG_5039_edited-1.jpgSprinkle shredded cheese on the bread. Top with some Pork Sung.

You may substitute the Pork Sung with ham, pepperoni, grilled peppers, etc.

_MG_5040_edited-1.jpgTop with another layer of shredded cheese. The cheese acts a gluing agent.
_MG_5041_edited-1.jpgTop the filings with the second slice of bread but this time with the buttered side on top.
_MG_5047_edited-1.jpgPress down the cover of the sandwich maker and grill for 3 minutes or until the bread is slightly brown.

Slice the bread into triangles and enjoy.

_MG_5048_edited-1.jpg

25 people like this post. Click yellow thumbie on the left if you like this post too.

Categorized Under: FeaturedFood Review

1. Robyn says:

Hiya – many thanks for linking our blog. I have one (OK, two) small requests – could you change our description … we are *mostly* Malaysia but also have a fair amount of other SE Asia coverage. And might you change the ‘by’ to ‘Robyn’. I haven’t been called by my last name only since my much younger years in a Catholic girls’ school. It gives me the willies. ;-)
    Thanks!
    Robyn @ EatingAsia

2. MrAl says:

Interesting. I might buy that stuff and try it out on some dishes.

3. dotbar says:

Okay, I’m nowhere near ready to try “meat floss” and I live in Vancouver! It sounds like something non-vegans would use on their teeth! lol. But good luck with that…

4. sally says:

You like that stuff? Sorry…I think it is nasty!! But, others love it. I just do not get it.

5. That’s just gross

6. Travis says:

I love that stuff so much; it’s really good in steamed buns. I’ve never heard the term “meat floss” though, that makes it sound really bad/scary!

7. Rosa says:

I agree, shredded pork sounds so much better than meat floss!! (ew)

8. Ben says:

Hi All: This got me thinking about why some food that looks so good to one culture and yet is so repulsive in another. I don’t have an answer. For instance, I love chicken feet but I bet it’s a sure turn off for most of you!
    Ben

9. sally says:

Chicken feet? A must for Dim Sum! I love salted fish with eggplant as well…the meat floss (which I have tried) is just nasty!!

10. Katherine says:

Thank god I have found a description for this stuff. I recently saw it on thai food (pineapple fried rice) and it scared me! I described it as “fuzzy caterpillar” stuff to some asian friends. After they stopped laughing, they sent me this link. I still think it’s gross, but I have a scientific explanation thanks to you!

11. K says:

I’ve been enjoying this stuff since I was child.. raised by an asian mother and caucasian father, I’ve managed to enjoy the best of both worlds.
    This a true asian delicacy, everyone should try it.

If you like beef jerky, you’ll love thsi snack.

12. hello jim nagrock i would like prices on the best 454gm jar and shipping. If i buy 2 454gm jars do i get a discount on product or on shipping, thank fine folks jim

13. Hanna says:

I loved this stuff since I was little. You should try it before you say eww…

14. Ben says:

Not sure what you’re talking about Jim.

Hi Hanna: Well said.

15. krath says:

Since everyone is posting their opinion of this food I’ll venture to post mine as well. Pork-Fu (sung, Rousong) is actually pretty good. If you eat any pork product, enjoy any jerky product (flavored with sugar and soy sauce) then you can easily enjoy this product. It really is as simple as imagining pork jerky – then shredding it. One of my favorite ways to eat this is to take a nice bowl of hot rice, add a dash or three of soysauce, place one or two over easy eggs over the rice and then sprinkle pork fu generously. Mix and eat. Those with developed palates and appreciation for texture will truely enjoy this condiment. Disfruta!

16. iris says:

i like the meat foss so much!! but it ia so difficult to find it here in uk!!

it kills me to read this article.^^II …

17. paul says:

Yum… Im eating it right now actually. I was trying to tell my Girlfriend about it. I told her it looks like the hairs on Tarantulas LOL. To me, its more of a snack. I grab a pinch and pop it in my mouth and suck out the flavor (not meant to be sexual).

18. K says:

TO THE AUTHOR OF THIS BLOG-

Would it be possible for you to edit the entry that was posted on July 17, 2006 01:28 PM

That entry contains my full name, please edit it so that it remains a bit more anonymous thank you!!

19. Ben says:

Hi K: Done. I had edited out your full name.

20. gwayne says:

this is the 1st time i heard about the term “meat floss.” it’s not yucky at all. i’m a filipina girl who had a chinese step grandfather, i use to have it years ago and it never failed to satisfy my taste buds…i miss it a lot(sob..@_@) i miss you shreded pork!

it’s really good with congee or i personally like puting it on champorado(soup base sticky or gloutinous rice mixed with cocoa and sugar). champorado and shreded pork…i really miss it.

21. Amy says:

We have a bakery in Houston that makes sweet bread topped with shredded pork. It is THE best way to eat it, but I’m going to try the egg and rice suggestion. I love this stuff!

• kathryn says:

hi AMY,
      do you mind telling where this bakery in houston is?
      i tried pork floss bun the first time when i went on vacation to the phils, and i LOVED it!
      now im trying to find out where i can get some more here.

thanks!
      kathryn

22. kimee says:

I love this stuff… My dad used to buy them every week, he includes them in the grocery list. We always have congee (arroz caldo) and shredded pork and century eggs on sunday mornings. Yummy!

23. Jaybear says:

We have a fantastic Asian market out here in Rochester NY that sells this stuff by the TUB full.

I LOVE IT.

It comes in several flavors and (To me)It’s best on hot rice. Simple. Quick. Tasty! :)

24. [...] Suanne made it once at home … it was a very laborious process.  Here is the recipe if you want to know how it is made.  We normally buy pork floss from the stores. [...]

25. Shane says:

I have actually had this stuff. It was introduced to me by my friend Matt when i spent a weekend over at his place several years ago. It is extremely good. great for snacking.

26. Tish says:

I have heard of pork sung being used in sushi rolls – that sounds sooooo good. I would also like to learn how to make a steamed bun with the pork sung inside…usually this is done with chinese bbq pork but I think the sung would be really good too!

27. Just wanted to let you know that I referenced this post in my blog, and attached the trackback! Great post about this wonderful food (though getting over the carpet-fiber texture took some getting used to, haha).

28. Ben says:

Hi American in Taiwan:
    I saw the link from your site to ours. Thanks. Glad you liked it and I find it funny the way you described it as carpet fibre … indeed it looked just like that!
    Ben

29. Samantha says:

Hi there

My mum is Chinese, and when I was little we used to eat a lot of Chinese food products I’m now getting into buying, half-remembering I once had them. I just got the pork today, vaguely remembering eating it, but couldn’t remember in what form I’d eaten it, etc. So thanks for the information! I’m going to have the pork on some cold rice right now.

30. Eddie says:

Here in Thailand it’s very popular as a stand-alone snack, a toast topping, or as a sandwich ingredient. It’s called Moo Waan (Sweet Pork) in Thai, the English name most commonly used here is Fluffy Pork, sounds a lot more appetising than Meat Floss.

31. AL Asian says:

For me, these are HEAVEN especially when eaten during the winter. Thanks for the recipe!

32. alice says:

the name may repel you, but this stuff is delish!!!!!
    try it! you’ll crave it all the time… yummm… :D’
    porridge or rice for me is a great option, sandwich works too. but i really love the pork sung topped bread found in chinese bakeries common in the san gabriel valley (i dont know where else they have it)

33. Marcus Esfrillo says:

Shredded Dried Pork or more popularly known as “Meat floss” is one of the greatest ingredient ever made. For those who says its nasty, then you surely haven’t tasted a decent cuisine made from it. For those who have used it on their cooking and says its nasty then you surely dont know how to cook. If you visit the Philippines, try the popular cheese floss from breadtalk and you’ll see what im saying.

34. [...] it in a skillet so it’s nice and crusty, and sprinkle some on top. A green onion? How about Pork Fu? I discovered Pork Fu a while back, it’s a funky stuff, akin in texture to fiberglass [...]

35. [...] Shredded Dried Pork (a.k.a. Meat Floss) – 35 comments [...]

36. [...] they eat (or what they do not eat), lack of processed food, and a more active lifestyle. See the Pork Sung Rice Ball [...]

37. MUGIONO says:

We in Indonesia produced from fish, and we called “abon”. And my family produce floss Tuna.

38. [...] turned down my suggestions of pickled bok choy, pork fu, or fish jerky and settled on a little red can of roasted eel. Secretly, I was relieved, but I sure [...]

39. [...] floss intake with plain white rice, but it’s also used as a filling for sticky rice rolls, sandwiches, pancakes, tiny egg rolls, and onigiri, and as a topping for baked buns. Hell, you can use it to [...]

40. [...] Originally Posted by Dannyalcatraz You might as well be telling me to use year-old dehydrated then rehydrated pork in my pork dishes because I like pork and that's the only pork available. My wife swears by pork fu. [...]

41. [...] love, it’s pork. Whether it’s roasting an entire pig, grilling it, braising it or drying it, we love pork. So despite being Vietnamese, my parents exposed my siblings and I to many different [...]

42. emil29 says:

…pork floss or”shredded pork” goes well with scrambled egg, u got to try it…

43. Thomas says:

Man I love this stuff. All I need is a jar of shredded pork and a spoon and I am satisfied. Although I am disappointed on the price mark ups.

44. Ailan says:

This is pretty much standard breakfast fare for me with rice porridge since I’m not fond of mantou or baozi. I’m an expy westerner living in southern China, and with the Muslim population here it’s also possible to find seafood/beef based shredded meat as well. Nothing cures a hangover like rousong and rice :)

45. [...] 1 Tbsp. soy sauce ½ tsp. sesame oil 2 Taiwanese preserved duck eggs, removed from shell and quartered lengthwise 1 (14 oz) container silken tofu, drained and cubed 2 scallions, sliced 1 Tbsp. cooked, dried shredded pork (pork sung) [...]

46. breadtop - says: