May 25, 2006 | | Comments 40

Kuejadas (Portuguese Tart)

While I was browsing through my recipe collections this week, I found this Portuguese Tart recipe. I don’t remember if I have ever made it before. I love to collect recipes and most of the recipes just lay in my collection and never being used at all. Do you have the same feeling?

I’m wanted something sweet and I remember the ingredients of the Portuguese Tart do spell ‘SWEET’ in it. So, I decided to give it a try.

IMG_5172_edited-1.jpg

The Portuguese Tart is caramelized on the outside and has a custard like texture inside. It satisfies any sweet tooth and I’ll bet you just can’t eat one only.

IMG_5171_edited-1.jpg

• 1 cup sugar
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons margarine, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 can 14oz condensed milk
  • 2 cups milk

IMG_5148_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5155_edited-1.jpgBeat the eggs in a large bowl.
IMG_5160_edited-1.jpgBasically, you just mix all the ingredients together. This is such a simple recipe. If the mixture is lumpy, strain it to get a smooth batter.
IMG_5163_edited-1.jpgLadle the mixture into greased muffin tins. This recipe yields 18 tarts.
IMG_5168_edited-1.jpgBake in a 400F preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 325F and bake for another 20 minutes.

I’m glad I made this and I’ll certainly make it again. It’s a sure keeper.

147 people like this post. Click yellow thumbie on the left if you like this post too.

Categorized Under: FeaturedKuihPastry

1. Jee says:

Looks absolutely yummy!

2. Becky says:

surfed in from blogmad-
    mmmmmmmm….looks yummy! definitely going to try these, thanks for sharing! : )

3. Maritza says:

Wow! What a great simple recipe! How about adding a dash of cinnamon or throwing in some raisins or a little orange zest, a bit of vanilla? The possibilities are endless!

4. sally says:

A very tasty treat in the morning with a cup of coffee…

Maritza: You have really good ideas! I like that … sounds yummier!

Hi Sally: He he he … Ben had this for three straight mornings of breakfast!

6. Cindy says:

hints:
    strain ur mixture or it’ll be lumpy and grease your tray so it wont stick. Looks pretty good though =)

Hi Cindy, thanks for the hints. In fact, for the last 2 times I made this again, I did strain the batter and I always use vegetable spray on the muffin tins.

8. cocoa says:

Hi Suanne,

I tried your recipe and thought you might interested in checking my production.

Do you use brown sugar in your recipe?

Hi Cocoa, the recipe calls for regular (granulated) sugar. I did not use brown sugar. BTW, your tart looks great. I bet it tastes great too.

• lostduck2000 says:

Thanks for the sugar clarification in your post. The photo looks like it has brown sugar vs. regular sugar in it, so that may be where the confusion lies. Looks good. I will be trying this one soon!

10. MammaViv says:

Hi Suanne,
    This looks delicious. Do you know if this will store well in the freezer? Thinking of making some goodies in advance before my mother-in-law arrives :)

Hi MammaViv, I have never try freezing these. In fact, I never freeze any cakes or desserts as my freezer has just enough room for the meat, fish and other frozen groceries. I’m sorry I cant help answer your question.

12. MammaViv says:

Hi Suanne,
    I just tried this recipe tonight. It was delicious! However, my tarts were not crispy. When you said yours were caramelized, did you mean they were crispy? My tarts were more like a sponge cake. emmmmm…… *wondering*

Hi MammaViv, the tart is soft with some bits of caramelization on the outer layer. The tart is not crispy. Yours should be alright.

14. mic_chiao8246 says:

by using condensed milk wat u mean by 1 can? 250ml or 14 oz only? can i hav d correct measurement pls?tq ^.^

Hi Mic_Chiao, condensed milk is usually sold in can of 14oz which is equivalent to 397g or 300ml. The recipe calls for 1 whole can of 14oz of sweetened condensed milk.

16. Marisa (Portugal) says:

Hello! They sure look good…
    By the way it’s “Queijadas”, and they’re supposed to be made with “queijo” (cheese).

17. JT says:

Hi. I think the cheese has been omitted on this recipe because it appears to be Chinese version of the Portuguese “Queijadas” tarts.

18. gorgeous says:

hey there..very nce recpe!! wanna ask ur permsson to publsh ths in our magazne.. :) hope u dont mnd..

19. Elizabeth says:

Hi.

When i read your recipe, just come to my maind “Pastelitos de Belen”, that are realy famous in Portugal. I just love it.
    And this remember me those a lot.

20. Debbie says:

These looks delicious. I love anything with custard. I will give these a try!

21. candyce says:

Wow, I saw your post on Tastespotting last night, and made your recipe last night as well! Mine didn’t come out looking as beautiful as yours do, but they are soooo delicious! They remind me of rabanada – have you tried? i have the recipe on my blog. :)
    Thanks for the recipe! This is going in my favorites for sure!
    (and I’m currently having one for breakfast with my coffee as I type)

22. ingrid says:

Wow! Those seem pretty easy and sound tasty!

Thanks for all the wonderful step by step photos!
    ~ingrid

23. wannacheff says:

can butter be subsituted for the margarine?

24. [...] If you like this recipe, you should also check out the recipe on Kuejadas (Portuguese Tart). [...]

25. Cheryl says:

Can it be made using a mini muffin pan? I’m going to make these.

26. Annie says:

one of the ladies from my potluck club made Kuejadas.

Check out my sites: http://www.pan-asiankitchen.blogspot.com/

27. JoNonah says:

My tarts are in the oven right now and they are looking good! Thank you so much for the recipe.

28. Pat says:

Margarine?! It has to be on your list of poisons, I’m sure. Butter – preferably organic would be an excellent option.

29. Marike says:

Non-hydrogenated margarines (like Becel) are ok and a good substitute for butter in non-baking purposes (like on toast) because it’s vegetable oil based.

30. Nafiz says:

Dr. Oz suggested this!

31. JoNonah says:

I have made these tarts several times since my first post and they are very good. I have also given the recipe out and it was enjoyed by others as well.
    Thanks again!

32. carla says:

i am Portuguese from the Azores islands. and i absolutely love this queijadas!!!!!

33. Cindy says:

Has anyone figured out the calorie, fat, carb, etc.. content? Would be great to know

34. CB Leary says:

Looks yummmy & I WILL try this. My muffin pan has <3 hearts <3, not round portions.

35. Maria says:

I tried this kuejadas, and they are unbelievable!!! We loved them. My husband and girls wanted more, and more. Nonstop!
    I posted your blog on mine, I hope it’s okay. Thanks

36. carol corgiat says:

I made these and they were concave. I baked them for the time and temps specified in recipe. It seemed like an awful lot of milk to one cup of flour and sugar. Was the milk evaporated or was it sweetened condensed milk. Batter was like egg nog! What did I do wrong?

Hi Carol, the batter does look like egg nog. When it cools down, the kuejadas does deflate and becomes concave in shape. There is milk and also sweetened condensed milk in this recipe.