October 27, 2006 | | Comments 18

Arctic Surf Clams

The Arctic Surf Clams is great as an appetizer. It is best served cold. You can buy frozen, ready cooked Arctic Surf Clams from Asian Supermarket like T&T in Vancouver.

Arctic Surf Clams

• 1 package of Frozen Arctic Surf Clams
  • 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
  • 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vinegar
  • juice from 1/2 lemon

Arctic Surf Clams

The Arctic Surf Clams have to be washed thoroughly as there may be sand in them. In order to do that, cut the clams into halves and rub away any sands in them. Rinse with cold drinking water and pat dry them. The Arctic Surf Clams can be cut into strips if you prefer. Chill the Arctic Surf Clams in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

Arctic Surf Clams

To make the sauce, combine together the sesame oil, Bonito seasonings, sugar, vinegar and lemon juice. Pour the sauce over the chilled Arctic Surf Clams and mix thoroughly.

Arctic Surf Clams

Sprinkle the dish with Bonito Rice seasoning or toasted sesame seeds. You may serve the Arctic Surf Clams with a Garlic Soy Sauce.

Arctic Surf Clams

The Arctic Surf Clams is great to be served in summer. I love the sesame oil and coriander fragrance which permeates the dish.

Arctic Surf Clams

35 people like this post. Click yellow thumbie on the left if you like this post too.

Categorized Under: 2006AppetizerSaladSeafood

1. Chubbypanda says:

Suanne,

Looks great. Do you have any tips for removing that flavor the clams get if they’ve been frozen or refrigerated for too long?

- Chubbypanda

2. Lea says:

Beautiful! I wonder if we can find these in Florida’s Asian markets… I’ll look next time I go! They look fantastic!

• Rich Guagliardo says:

They have them at the Sanwa Market on Hillsborough Avenue in Tampa SUPER CHEAP…tried them tonight…DELISH.

Hi Chubbypanda,
    I do not how to remove the ‘frozen’ flavor. But, this recipe is full of fresh herbs and sesame oil flavors that I do not sense any ‘frozen’ flavor from the clams.

• Patricia says:

I had them tonight for the first time, the pkg says they are from canada. You must have gotten some really frozen ones if that was the case, Mine were almost tasteless compared to the reguilar clam. I thawed them , cleaned them and rolled them in a sushi roll, Delish

4. Adam Osmond says:

I am a fisherman from newfoundland,Canada.I am a Factory Boss aboard a vessel that catches Arctic clams(frozen at sea)My job job is to cook these clams while at sea.I would love to have some recipes for home….please help!!!!!

5. Diana says:

on the back of the box it shows a serving suggestion called “korean spicy arctic surf clams”….does anyone know the recipe for it….so far this is the only recipe I’ve seen for arctic surf clams

6. jessica cesareo says:

hi, I live in los angeles, California and I will like to know if you know a place where can I get the surf arctic clams. Please let me know. thanks

• Rebecca says:

They sell them at 99 Ranch Market at any of their locations – Arcadia, San Marino, Monterey Park… in the frozen food section. Enjoy!

7. crystal says:

hello, I live in Qingdao, China and I will like to know if you know a place where can I get the surf arctic clams. We have to import a large number of, Please let me know. thanks

• William says:

I work by a cvompany in Holland and we import the clams in carton packeges frozen. Mail me if you are interested

8. readandeat says:

Hi,

just went to Vancouver this April. The seafood there was really tasty.

Talking about the arctic surf clam, I just bought a bag, which is the same brand of your photo, from the Chinese supermarket in New York. It tastes very good even when it’s eaten with washabi only.

9. Mina says:

I just made this recipe and I have to say it is the best recipe for arctic surf clam I have tried. I bought the same box mentioned above in an Asian store in Atlanta, Georgia. I have tried making sushi out of it and making ceviche out of it but the flavor and texture wasn’t very good. This recipe is just delicious! The lemon tenderizes the clams and the seasonings are perfect! You should add bonito seasoning to your ingredient list since it is mentioned later in the directions- I used bonito with sesame seeds. I wish I had taken a picture, but I just devoured it all with a friend with Thai Coconut Chicken soup on the side.

10. Laura says:

Thank you for this recipe!!! There are barely any arctic surf clam recipes on the internet and after some research, this looked like the best one. I will try it soon since I have had a box sitting in my freezer for a while!

11. chieko says:

To remove freezer flavor rinse in fresh lemon juice (not reconstitued). Taste and rinse again if necessary. I had some in my freezer for over 2 years and they only got a slight freezer taste and no freezer burn.

12. Don says:

I forgot to clean it well and I ended up eating some sand.

13. mizpookie says:

Thank you for the recipe. I liked it better when I reduced the amount of cilantro. The clams cost about $10/lb at the Asian grocery near me – the only place I have ever seen them sold.

By the way, the ingredient list has garlic, but it’s not mentioned in the preparation directions.

Hi mizpookie, the recipe was posted quite a few years back. I can’t find the hard copy of the recipe now. I guess you can leave out the garlic as raw garlic can be quite strong in a salad like this.