Christina and Stella were assigned to this recipe, Mini Empanadas. However, everyone lends their helping hands when it comes to forming the Mini Empanadas. This recipe is adapted from Southern Living. It yields 36 tiny empanadas.
These little Latin-inspired Mini Empanadas are irresistible right out of the oven. They’re are incredibly low in fat because they’re baked, not deep fried and yet they are crispy. The raisins add a touch of sweetness to these empanadas.
- 8 oz skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 small onion, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 pimento-stuffed green olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- vegetable cooking spray, or oil
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs (optional)
- 36 (3-inch) square wonton wrappers
- salt to taste
Preheat oven to 400F.
|Wash and chopped all the ingredients.|
|Heat the oil in a large skillet, and saute the chicken until no longer pink.|
|Add the rest of the ingredients except the wonton wrappers and breadcrumbs. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the chicken is done, stirring often.|
|Process the chicken mixture in a food processor until coarsely chopped. The mixture should be fairly dry. If the mixture is wet, add a tablespoon of breadcrumbs.|
|Cover and chill for 30 minutes.|
|Arrange wonton wrappers on a clean, flat surface. Lightly brush two edges of the wrapper with water.|
|Place 1 heaping teaspoon of chicken mixture in the center of the wonton wrapper. Do not put too much filings.|
|Fold the wonton wrapper over the filing.|
|Press the edges to seal.|
|Place the empanadas on a baking sheet. Lightly coat the empanadas with cooking spray or brush with vegetable oil.|
|Repeat with the remaining wrappers and chicken mixtures.
Bake the Mini Empanadas for 12 minutes or until golden brown, turning after 6 minutes. Sprinkle with salt to taste if preferred.
Chrisina, Stella and all who helped to make these empanadss, thank you.