The second chutney which Jane made is Tomato Chutney. Jane used canned crushed tomatoes to speed up the process. The ingredients are very similar to the Apple Chutney but Jane used a variation of sweetener and vinegar to this chutney.
The Tomatoes Chutney is great on biscuits. I found that the Tomatoes Chutney is sweeter than the Apple Chutney which I like better.
- 1 x 284 litre (100 oz) canned crushed tomatoes
- 3 to 4 cups chopped red and green peppers
- 5 medium onions, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups variation of sugar
- 2 1/2 cups golden raisins
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
Jane used 1 cup of palm sugar, 1 cup of large granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of pack brown sugar for the Tomato Chutney.
|Combine crushed tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, peppers and onion in a large pot.|
|Add spices and raisins. Let simmer for at least 2 hours until the right consistency, stirring occasionally.|
|Everyone got some chutneys to bring home that day.
Jane, thank you for sharing the chutney recipes and introducing the various vinegars and sugars.