For those of you of follow chowtimes, I’m sure you’ll know me well enough that I try not to use the oven in summer. It’s hot enough already and we do not need the extra heat from the oven. I made this Old Fashioned Beef Stew using the slow cooker.
I find that this beef stew is slightly on the tangy side. We are not so fond of tangy meat but I’m ok with tangy dessert. The next time I’m going to make this again, I will omit the lemon juice. This is a very hearty meal.
The main reason I made this beef stew is I found a great deal for eye of round roast at Save-On-Foods. This 2.6kg piece of meat only cost $11.42.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pounds lean stew beef
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth or bouillon
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I think I will omit this next time)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 carrots, cut in pieces
- 6 medium potatoes, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup cold water blended with 3 tablespoons flour for thickening (I find it not necessary)