For dessert, the South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors made some Chai Spiced Almond Cookies to complete the Indo-Canadian inspired meal.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
- 1 cup powdered sugar for rolling
Prep time: 20 minutes; Bake time: 20 to 25 minutes; Yields 20 cookies
|Preheat the oven to 350F.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, both extracts, spices and salt in a medium bowl.
|Beat in the flour.|
|Stir in almonds.|
|Using hands, roll dough into tablespoon-size balls. Place on a large baking sheet, spacing 1-inch apart. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until pale golden. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.|
|Place 1 cup powdered sugar in a large bowl. Working in batches, gently coat the hot cookies in sugar. Cool the cookies on a rack. Roll again in sugar and serve.|