Pizza is ideal for lunch box as it is flexible in the combination of vegetables and meat that you know your kids will like. In order to make a healthier version, try to use whole grain pizza crust. You may even substitute the pizza crust with Indian naan bread like this Naan Pizza or with Italian focaccia bread or ciabatta buns.
We made the pizza with two types of crust, i.e one with a regular pizza crust and another with focaccia bread. The focaccia has more flavour to it but then the pizza crust is more crispy.
- 4 whole wheat flat breads such as Italian focaccia bread, ciabatta buns or Indian naan bread
- 1/4 cup (60ml) pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup (125ml) sliced button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (125ml) sliced red pepper
- 1/2 cup (125ml) sliced onion
- 1/4 cup (75ml) chopped olives
- 1 cup (250ml) shredded mozzarella cheese or soy cheese
- olive oil for brushing
Source: this recipe is adapted from Alive Magazine #275, September 2005