The second dish which Minoo prepared from the Vancouver Sun was Butternut Squah Gratin with Parmesan Sage Breadcrumbs. It”s in season now. Winter squash is a good source of fiber, vitamin C, manganese, magnesium and potassium. It is also an excellent source of Vitamin A and E.
This casserole dish is tender, crisp, sweet and savoury. It is a great dish for potluck.
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- 2 medium onions, about 1 pound (450g), chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 pounds (1.1 kg) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) sea salt
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon (2ml) freshly ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (180ml) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (250ml) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) chopped fresh sage leaves
Source: adapted from Vancouver Sun
Makes 8 servings
P/S: the shallots are not supposed to be in the ingredients
|Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter a 9×13-inch baking dish or spray with nonstick spray.Minoo placed the butternut squash in the oven to soften the skin for easy peeling.|
|Alternatively, you can microwave the butternut squash for a few minutes until the skin soften.Peel, remove seeds and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.|
|Heat butter and olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.|
|Add the onions and garlic and cook until they are light golden, about 5 to 8 minutes.|
|Add the squash and cook until it glistens.|
|Add the sugar to help the butternut squash to caramelized.|
|Season with half of the salt and pepper, and nutmeg.|
|Cook until the onions and squash begin to caramelize, 5 to 6 minutes. Sprinkle with the sage.|
|Transfer to the prepared dish, spread evenly and add the stock.|
|Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven.|
|Increase the oven temperature to 400F.
Mix the panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, the remaining salt and pepper. Sprinkle evenly over the squash mixture.
|Bake, uncovered, until the top is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.|