Mushroom is the next featured superfood in the South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors. The mushroom is used in this Easy Mushroom Stroganoff recipe.
Benefits of mushrooms extracted from BBC Good Food Megazine and Vegetarian Nutrition Info includes:
- very low in calories
- antioxidant property
- high in potassium (helps lower blood pressure and reduces risk of stroke). For example, one portobella mushroom has more potassium than a banana or a glass of orange juice.
- great alternative to meat
- source of Vitamin B12
- one of the few natural sources of Vitamin D, which keeps bones and teeth healthy and supports the immune system
- shiitake mushrooms have been used by Chinese and Japanese to treat cold and flu, appears to stimulate immune system
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600 grams mixed mushrooms, washed and chopped
- 1 cup low sodium beef or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup half fat sour cream
- parsley, chopped
- broad noodles, prepared according to directions
Source: adpated from BBC Good Food Magazine
You may click on the scanned recipe for a larger view.