Michelle also shared a snack recipe in the South Arm Older Adults Cooking Club.
These crispy pita chips with Feta and Roasted Red Pepper Dip made an amazing snacks. Michelle also suggested that the dip is good to be used on pasta like a pesto.
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 bag of whole wheat pita bread
Source: this recipe is adapted from chow.com
This is the second last kitchen for the South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors for this season. Colleen prepared a theme of Middle Eastern flavours with recipe like Tabbouleh and recipes with ingredients like walnuts and dates that are common in the middle east.
Colleen got the inspiration from a request from a participant who wanted to learn how to use bulgur wheat.
Bulgur is a whole grain with equal calcium and protein as found in brown rice but has fewer calories, less fat and more fiber and folate. It is found in various grinds or sizes. The above which Colleen bought from the Real Canadian Superstore is of a larger grain. Bulgur can be used in soups and bread.
Tabbouleh is best served after chilling in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight for the flavour to mellow.
Colleen served the Tabbouleh with some crispy Baked Pita Chips.
- 1 1/2 cups bulgur wheat
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 pounds tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Source: via Colleen
Minoo served the dips with Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips and Pita Chips.
The Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips were flavoured with rosemary while the Homemade Pita Chips where flavoured with basil. Both were crispy and flavourful. They were great for snacking even without any dips.
This is a great way to use up leftover tortilla and pita bread.
- 1 pack wholewheat tortilla
- 1 bag wholewheat pita bread
- olive oil for brushing
- garlic powder for seasoning
- dried rosemary or dried basil or herbs of your choice
Source: via Minoo
Minoo also prepared a snack item for the South Arm Community Kitchen. Minoo made a Pita Pizza with Hummus and Mint. This makes a healthy lunch box item or after school snacks.
Minoo used whole wheat pita bread as the base for the pizza. Instead of using tomato sauce for flavouring, Minno used hummus which is high in protein. Minoo used a store-bought prepared hummus for this recipe for simplicity. You can make your own hummus with this Creamy Hummus recipe.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced
- 1 cup plain hummus
- 4 greek-syle whole wheat pitas
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon hot-red chili flakes
- 1 yellow or red pepper, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets, blanched
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh mint
- cumin and black pepper to taste
Source: unknown via Minoo
Serves 4 to 8