A pearl is worthless as long as it is in its shell.
~ Native American Proverb
Here is the other dish that Winnie showed us how to make in our cooking class this week. She called it the Pearl Ball, which is basically meat ball wrapped in glutinous rice. The dish derives it’s name from the translucent appearance of the glutinous rice in a ball shape.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb fish paste
- 2 tablespoons dry shrimp, soaked and chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely diced carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped shiitake mushroom
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 cup glutinous rice, soaked in cold water for at least an hour
This is a very simple dish to make and you can get your kids to help out rolling the meat balls in the glutinous rice. I will surely make this at home. Thank you again Winnie for your recipe.