We were invited to Minoo’s Cooking Class in Caring Place yesterday. Minoo whipped up two dishes, Curried Red Lentil Soup and Jude’s Date, Nut and Chocolate Chip Cake.
Here is the recipe for the first dish, Curried Red Lentil Soup. Lentil is a good substitution for protein for vegetarian eater. Lentil is cheap compare to meat and it’s also high in fiber. It is very filling and yet light to our wallet.
A bowl of creamy Curried Red Lentil Soup is great on a cold winter day.
- 2 cups red lentils (or any lentil of your preference)
- 2 quarts water (8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- a bunch of parsley
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (more, if you like it spicier)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder (optional)
- herb salt or salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream or yogurt for garnishing