Polly recommended this Prima Taste Singapore Chilli Crab to me quite a while ago. Oh it must have been like 6 months ago. I had this in the storeroom and been procrastinating in trying out this product. I have never cook a crab at home before and I shudder at the thought of killing a live crab. I finally got down to do it. Well, I did not have the cut and clean the crab. I got the shop where I bought the crabs from to do it for me.
The Chilli Crab turned up pretty good and very easy to cook. The whole family really enjoyed it. The creamy and spicy gravy goes superbly well with steam rice. It is also great with just bread and the gravy.
- 1 package of Prima Taste Singapore Chilli Crab paste
- 3/4 cup peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 – 1.2 kg crab
- 2 small eggs
- 500ml water (divided into 470ml & 30ml)
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
The Prima Taste Singapore Chilli Crab package consists of:
- 1 packet of Chilli Paste
- 1 packet of Premix for Chilli Crab
- 1 packet of Extra Hot Chilli Mix
To prepare the crab:
- Submerge the live crab (Sri Lanka crab preferably) in ice-cold water until it stops moving. Remove the crab from the water and clean the shell.
- Remove from body all the parts that cannot be eaten. Set aside the shell with roe.
- Cut away the sharp tips of the legs. Cut body in half, then into 3 pieces for each half. Hammer the pincers so that the shell is slightly cracked.
- Keep the crab juice collected for later use.
I did not do the cutting up of the crab myself. I got the ‘fishmonger’ to do it for me.