Twice Cooked Pork Belly is one of my favourite dish. I like to order this whenever I visit a Shanghai restaurant. I’m glad that Julie demonstrated how to make it in the South Arm Community Kitchen.
Twice Cooked Pork Belly is a spicy dish and quite heavy in seasonings. So, it goes best with steam rice.
Julie served the Twice Cooked Pork Belly with Hong-Zao Fried Rice along with another dish; Hong-Zao Stir-Fried Pork. The meal ended with Sweet Potato Soup with lots of ginger to enhance the flavour.
Here is the recipe for the Twice Cooked Pork Belly.
- 1 slab of pork belly, about 1 lb
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon spicy broad bean paste (“lark tou pan jiang”) or chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet fermented bean paste (“tien mien jiang”)
- dark soy sauce for colour
- sugar to taste