Minoo’s second dish is called Tabouleh or Tabbouleh or Tabouli. According to Minoo, Tabouleh is originated from Syria and is very popular in Mediterranean countries.
The primary ingredients of this salad dish are bulgur, finely chopped parsley, mint, tomato, green onions and lemon juice. The key to this salad is to finely chopped the vegetables.
Bulgur is a cereal made from wheat, often durum wheat. You may find it in some health food stores. Bulgur has higher nutritional value than rice and couscous.
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions (only the green parts)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (or 1 tablespoon dried one), optional
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon tamari