Karen demonstrated to the Gilmore Park Church community kitchen a Roasted Chicken with Apple Stuffing which she will be preparing for the community meal the next day. The original recipe has bacon in it but Karen tries not to include pork in the meal as to respect the dietary restriction of some of the people who come for the community meal.
The stuffing is cooked separately and used as the base for holding the chicken instead of stuff inside the bird. This way of cooking the stuffing is more safe as we do not have to worry about the stuffing not cook through.
What I like about this recipe is that it uses chicken pieces instead of the whole bird.
- 4 pieces of chicken legs or thighs
- 6 cups cubed French bread
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 red apple, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 2 tablespoons, chopped fresh sage or a sprig of fresh sage
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
A few tips on preventing the apple from browning after cutting.
- Use Honey Crisp apple.
- Sprinkle the cut apple with canned pineapple juice.
- Soak in lightly salted water.
Click on the link below for the instructions.
Preheat the oven to 350F.