Zoe made a marvelous Chinese pastry in the Caring Place Community Kitchen. The Salted Egg Yolk Red Bean Pastries were very flaky and the salted egg yolk complements the sweet red bean paste really well. A great dim sum dessert for tea time.
You can see the many layers of the pastry which make this dessert so flaky. You must check out the steps in the instructions below to see how it is done. It is a bit time consuming but worth all the effort. Zoe emphasized that many cooks will not spoil this recipe but many hands are needed to do the rolling.
Outer layer dough:
- 450g high gluten (bread) flour (in Canada, all-purpose flour will do)
- 180g water
- 180g lard or shortening
Inner layer dough (flaky dough):
- 300g low gluten (cake) flour
- 150g lard or shortening
- 15 egg yolk from salted eggs, divided
- 2 lbs sweet red bean paste
- 1 tablespoon toasted black sesame seeds (toast on dry frying pan until fragrant)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons syrup
- 1 teaspoon oil
Click on the link below for the instructions.