Minoo shared this Kale and White Bean Soup in the Gilmore Park Church Community Kitchen. Minoo told us that she got the recipe from a friend who got it from a chef in a restaurant in Stanley Park after trying it out at the restaurant.
The Kale and White Bean Soup is loaded with fiber and complete with protein. Here are some nutritional values of Kale:
- Kale is a good source of vitamin C as do all dark green vegetables do. Vitamin C can boost immune system and protect against colds, flu, asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Kale contains vitamin B6 and riboflavin which can protect against heart disease.
- Kale is a great source of calcium; it is a good alternative source to dairy products for calcium. Calcium is good for healthy bones and teeth.
- Kale in considered to be one of the most highly nutritious vegetables, with powerful antioxidant properties and is anti-inflammatory.
- The high fiber content of kale is good for lowering cholesterol, balancing blood sugar levels, preventing constipation and protecting against colon cancer.
- 1 lb dried navy beans or canned ones
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 cups finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bacon or prosciutto
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 5 cups water
- sea salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoons finely ground pepper
- 1 lb trimmed and cut into one-inch pieces of kale (remove tough stalks)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Click on the link below for the instructions.
If you are using the dried beans, either soak the beans in fridge overnight or place the beans in a large pot and cover with ample water. Bring to boil, remove from heat and let stand, uncovered for one hour. Drain the beans in colander and rinse.
This Post Has 0 Comments
Hey, another kale and bean soup! Teehee…. =)
There must be something in the air. We just said goodbye to ours, hehe.
In case anybody’s interested, here are the links to our soup:
Minestra Cake http://eatingclubvancouver.blogspot.com/2008/03/minestra.html
Oops, the Minestra Cake link is this one:
Pingback: Chow Times » Winter Kale Salad