Minoo and Andrea demonstrated in the South Arm Park Community Kitchen while Vanessa was away on holiday in Hong Kong. Minoo got a big bag of purple broccoli from the Richmond Sharing Farm and she decided to make a Broccoli Salad.
Unlike the regular broccoli which comes in a big floweret, this purple broccoli comes in small floweret. It is more tender and milder in taste, just great for salad. We’ve yet to see such variety in the market.
The Broccoli Salad has sweet peppers, onions, raisins and some mix seeds. Although the purple broccoli is more tender than the regular one, it is still a hardy salad.
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into small floweret
- 1/4 cup chopped red or yellow pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons dried raisins
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, unsalted, plain
- some ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon light miracle whip or mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon plain low fat yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar