Here is the recipe for the Spinach Salad with Orange Sesame Dressing prepared by the seniors in the Cooking Club for Seniors in South Arm Community Center. This salad is a nice change from lettuce and tomato and much less expensive. In spring, one can get a bunch of spinach for fifty cents.
Spinach and oranges are both rich in fibre and folate, as well as vitamins A and C. Spinach is a rich source of iron and that’s why the Chinese use spinach for treatment of anemia.
Spinach is undoubtedly one of the best nutritional valued healthy vegetable as the creator of Popeye the sailor man cartoon used spinach as a source of strength.
This salad is very refreshing with the citrus dressing. The toasted sesame seeds and slivered almonds add crunchiness and nuttiness to the salad.
- 2 cups (500ml) chopped fresh spinach
- 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon chopped red or green onion
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon toasted slivered almond
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (7ml) olive oil or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2ml) sesame oil (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon (1ml) honey or sugar
- 1 pinch powdered ginger
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2ml) orange rind
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted