Tofu is a source of protein for vegetarian. One half-cup serving of raw firm tofu has double the content of protein from one half-cup of dairy milk. Tofu is low in calories for the protein it packs in. One half-cup of tofu contains 94 calories. For comparison, for each 100 calories serving, tofu contains 11 grams of protein while 100 calories of ground beef provides 8.9 grams of protein, and a 100 calories serving of cheese contains 6.2 grams of protein.
Here are more nutritional facts about tofu:
- Tofu is a cholesterol-free food, as are all plant-based food.
- One half-cup serving of raw firm tofu has only 5 grams of fat.
- One half-cup serving for firm tofu contains about 227 mg of calcium or about 22% of the recommended dietary allowances (RDA).
- One half-cup serving of firm tofu contains about 1.82 mg of iron, this can vary greatly, depending on the brand. The RDA for women is 18 mg, and 8 mg for men.
The Sesame Baked Tofu takes on the flavour of the seasonings as tofu itself is quite bland. The toasted sesame seeds gives the dish some crunchiness and nuttiness. This dish goes well with some baked sweet potatoes.
- 2 lbs firm tofu, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/8 cup tamari
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
Preheat the oven to 350F.