Steamed Pork is another regular home cooked dish. It is simple to make and steaming is my preferred cooking method for a more healthy living. Steaming does not heat up the kitchen too much as using the oven and it usually does not require a lot of oil as in frying.
This is another versatile recipe. You can use various preserved vegetables. I liked preserved cabbage because it is less salty. Some preserved vegetable like ‘jar choy’ is very salty and needs soaking in water for some time (from 30 minutes to 2 hours) to reduce the saltiness. Steamed Pork with Preserved Vegetable goes well with steamed rice.
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 4 tablespoons preserved cabbage
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- a pinch of white pepper
- a dash of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (or more for more salty preserved vegetable)
- 1 egg, optional
- Rinse the preserved cabbage and squeeze dry.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and transfer to a pie plate for steaming.
- Steam over high heat for 15 to 20 minutes.