Minoo and Tanni teamed up to demonstrate in the Gilmore Park Church community kitchen. Two person demo makes the job lighter and less stressful. This is a good way to encourage participation.
Minoo made a Cream of Brocolli Soup. The recipe calls for evaporated skim milk which makes this creamy soup low fat. However, Minoo did not have evaporated milk on hand and she replaced it with half and half.
Here are some nutritional facts of broccoli:
- high in Vitamin C
- rich in soluble fiber
- contains multiple nutrients with potent anti-cancer, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties
- high in Vitamin K
Broccoli can be eaten raw in salad or hor-d’oeuvre. It can be boiled or steamed but boiling reduces the levels of anticancer compounds. Preferred preparation methods which will not reduce the presence of anticancer compounds are steaming, microwaving and stir-frying.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium all purpose potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 12oz can evaporated milk
- a teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
Click on the link below for the instructions.