The soup which the seniors made in the South Arm Community Kitchen is called Cranberry Sweet Potato Soup. Soup is just great for the colder fall weather. Moreover, most soup can be frozen in small batches for up to 2 months. Reheat the soup on the stove gently and you can have a bowl of hearty soup anytime.
October is the harvest time for cranberries and Richmond is the top producer of cranberries in BC. Cranberry is a superior source of nutrition and vitamins. It is an excellent source of antioxidants which helps to protect against cancer, heart disease and bladder infections. Cranberry juice is also rich in polyphenol content as in red wine which makes it a heart-healthy drink.
This Cranberry Sweet Potato Soup is a sweet soup with a hint of tanginess from the cranberries. It has a very strong flavour of cinnamon.
While one team is working on the soup recipe, another team worked on the dessert which is Apple Banana Muffin. I had blogged on the muffin recipe here.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 large yam, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cups low salt chicken broth
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (optional), recommend to change it to 1 teaspoon as the cinnamon flavour is too overpowering
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup skim milk
- parsley for garnish
Click on Read More for the instructions to make the Cranberry Sweet Potato Soup.