The South Arm Community Kitchen was in the local newspaper a week and a half ago. The article was published on 30th Oct. The article covered both the South Arm Community Kitchen and the South Arm Cooking Club for seniors.
In this week’s Cooking Club for seniors meet, Hugh shared with us a Lentil Soup recipe. He made this Lentil Soup for his son at home. The Lentil Soup is rich with vitamins and fiber from the vegetables and the lentil is a rich source of protein and fiber too. Karen and Santosh helped Hugh with all the peeling and chopping for this recipe.
Regional seasonings can change the character of this Lentil Soup. The variations are:
- Arabic Lentil Soup: add 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 2 bay leaves and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger with other seasonings.
- North African Lentil Soup: add 1/2 teaspoon crushed saffron threads or powder with the onion and 1 (8oz) can whole tomatoes, crushed with the broth.
- Persian Lentil Soup: add 2 tablespoons orange juice or 2 teaspoons grated orange peel or lemon peel just before serving.
- 1 can lentils, rinse several times, drain and set aside
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 small turnip or parsnip, if desired, peeled and diced
- 8 cups beef broth (2 qts) or vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 parsley sprigs, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
Click on Read More for the instructions.