Since we had the Fried Mushroom with Bamboo Shoots at Top Shanghai Cuisine Restaurant, Ben has been hinting me to cook the dish at home. So, in one of the groceries shopping trip, he picked up a bag of bamboo shoots for me.
The bamboo shoots in the bag are those already being processed and ready for use. As I did a research on the internet on how to prepare bamboo shoots, I found out that it is quite tedious to prepare raw bamboo shoots. The raw bamboo shoots has to be cooked in rice water and soaked overnight to remove the bitterness in them.
Anyway, here is the Bamboo Shoots and Shiitake Mushroom Stir Fry that I tried to replicate. The bamboo shoots have a very flavour and it will take on the flavour of the sauces and the mushrooms. The good thing is Nanzaro like bamboo shoots. He likes its texture. It is hard to get him to like a vegetable.
- 1 large piece of bamboo shoots, thinly sliced, discard the tougher wider end.
- 4 large dried shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted, slice and reserve the soaking water.
- 2 teaspoons corn oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce or more to taste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- white pepper to taste
- Blanch the sliced bamboo shoots for 5 minutes, drain and set aside
- In a frying pan, saute the garlic in the oil until fragrant, not brown
- Add the mushroom and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes until fragrant and lightly brown
- Add the blanched bamboo shoot, oyster sauce and dark soy sauce and stir fry for 30 seconds
- Add few tablespoons of the mushroom soaking water, mix well, cover with lids and let braise for a minute or two
- Add sugar and white pepper to taste
- If there is too much liquid, thicken the sauce with a little corn starch solution.