The South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors met again in the South Arm Community Center. This time, the seniors made 3 items to share. The main dish is called Quinoa Stuffed Peppers. For the nutritional values of Quinoa, please click on this Quinoa and Black Bean Salad link to learn more.
Christina, Frank and Hugh worked together to make this Quinoa Stuffed Peppers. This recipe is adapted from Cooking Light and it serves 4.
The Quinoa Stuffed Pepper has a kick to it with the presence of jalapeno pepper. Although this is a Vegetarian dish, the Quinoa is a good source of protein, equivalent or more superior to milk product.
- 4 yellow bell peppers or (5-inch) poblano chiles
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seed kernels
- 1/2 cup minced green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 medium can diced Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 35oF.