Carol and Charlene worked on the Corn and Shrimp Tortilla Soup at the South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors. Looks like we had fewer participants for this cooking meet as Charlene and Stella have to pitch in to help out the teams.
This recipe is adapted from Cooking Light and it serves 8.
This Corn and Shrimp Tortilla Soup has the sweetness from the corn, the springy texture from the shrimp and the crunchy texture from the tortilla and a little kick from the jalapeno. This is a very refreshing soup with the hint of sourness from the lime juice and fresh cilantro.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears) or frozen ones
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (we used frozen ones)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips