The main dish which Minoo planned for the South Arm Community Kitchen is a Moroccan Chicken and Rice dish. We were surprised with the use of winter squash in this rice dish.
This Moroccan Chicken and Rice dish is a all in a pot dish. It has protein, vegetable and grain in this dish. This recipe is adapted from Alive Magazine and it serves 4.
The butternut squash and raisins add sweetness to this rice dish. This is a good recipe to make use of winter squashes which are in season now. They are cheap and nutritious.
Here is a tip to peel the tough skin butternut squash. Microwave the whole squash, on high, for 2 minutes. This softens the skins, making it easier to peel.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) extra -virgin olive oil.
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) each ground cinnamon, cumin seeds, garlic powder, ginger, turmeric and sea salt
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken broth
- 2 cups (500ml) butternut squash, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) basmati rice
- 1/4 cup (50ml) raisins