>Minoo resumed the Gilmore Park Church Community Kitchen with 3 recipes. The first recipe is a lentil soup. Lentil or daal belongs to the legume family. Lentil is high in protein and is an important part of the diet for India which has a large population of vegetarians. Lentils come in many variety with colors ranges from yelllow to orange to green, brown and black.
Regional seasonings can change the character of lentil soup. Minoo made the …
Arabic Lentil Soup:
- add 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2 bay leaves and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
Other regional variations are:
North African Lentil Soup:
- add 1/2 teaspoon crushed saffron threads or powder with onion and 1 x 8-ounce can whole tomatoes, crushed with broth.
Persian Lentil Soup:
- add 2 tablespoons orange juice or 2 teaspoons grated orange peel or lemon peel just before serving.
- 1 can lentils
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 small turnip or parsnip, if desired, peeled and diced
- 8 cups beef broth (2 quarts) or vegetable broth
- 2 parsley sprigs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
This recipe serves 6.