For the main course, Minoo made a Ground Beef Curry for the Indian theme at the Caring Place Community Kitchen. I did not use beef on the title as most population in India are Hindus who do not eat beef. I do not want to be offensive. You can substitute the beef with other meat like chicken, turkey, lamb or pork.
This Ground Beef Curry is loaded with spices like turmeric, cinnamon, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and dried red chili flakes. Vania, a volunteer for the family services did a research on the benefits of eating spicy food and here are what she found out:
- spicy food helps to prevent degeneration of the brain and nervous system
- helps with prevention of depression and migraine
- helps increase metabolism which is an important factor in weight loss function
- use for pain and inflammation management
- good for blood circulation
- lower blood pressure
- cancer prevention (Capsaicin, an active component of chili peppers, attack and kill cancer cells
- improve digestion
- improve sleep pattern
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 medium Yukon potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, roughly crushed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, roughly crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 1 can (398ml or 14 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cup (300ml) beef stock
- 1/2 bag baby spinach leaf (5 1/2oz or 150g)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
|Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onion until golden brown.
Add garlic, ginger and other spices like cinnamon stick, turmeric, crushed cumin and coriander seeds and chili flakes.
Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
|Add beef, stirring to break up the meat.|
|When the meat turns brown, add the potatoes and tomatoes.|
|Add beef stock and season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent from sticking.
|Stir in the spinach into the curry and heat through for 1 minute, just to wilt the spinach. Season with salt and pepper if necessary. This Beef Curry is best served with steamed rice. Minoo made some Basmati Rice flavoured with Saffron to go with this dish.|