During the holiday season, we are often greeted with party food which are high in salt, fat and sugar. This Classic Texas Caviar is a wonderful appetizer for potluck as it feeds a crowd. It is very filling and flavourful, and full of healthy protein and fiber.
The Classic Texas Caviar recipe is adapted from Pam Anderson and it serves a large party. Ken and Frank made this healthy appetizer. Ken and Frank are the oldest seniors in the South Arm Cooking Club for seniors. Can you guess their age?
Ken and Frank are two of the active members of the cooking club. Check back the next post to see if you guess their age right?
- 2 (15.8 ounce) cans black-eyed peas or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded and minced, optional
- 1 small onion, cut into small dice
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into small dice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin