We were very excited when Minoo told us that she had invited one of South Arm Community Kitchen’s pioneer member, Doris to demonstrate some Vietnamese dishes. Doris is a third generation Chinese Vietnamese here. It is such a privilege to be able to invite her to demonstrate in the kitchen as she is a very busy hair dresser now.
The spring roll is deep fried until the skin is crispy. This is a great appetizer or finger food for holiday entertaining.
Of course, the spring roll has to go with the Fish Sauce dipping sauce. The sourness of the dipping sauce cuts back the heaviness of the meat.
Ingredients for Spring Roll:
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 5 pieces black fungus, reconstituted in some water, finely chopped
- 2 bunches of mung bean vermicelli, soak in some water to soften and cut into smaller strands.
- 1 pound taro root
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg (optional)
- 1 package spring roll rice paper wrap (Asian boy brand recommended)
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Fish Sauce for dipping:
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (or 3/4 tablespoon vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon garlic chili sauce (optional)
Here’s a video on how to wrap the spring roll which was video taped during the cooking session.