For the side dish, Paul and Frances made Green Beans and Potatoes in Chunky Tomato Sauce. For this recipe, we used canned whole tomatoes. If you prefer fresh tomatoes, this is how to peel the skin easily. Make a small X on the bottom side of the tomato with a sharp knife. Place tomato in boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove tomato using a slotted spoon; immediately submerge in a bowl of icy cold water. Let stand for one minute. Skin should pull off easily with a sharp knife.
The green beans are cooked perfectly and they are tender and yet still crisp.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups diced red potato
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 3/4 pound plum tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped (or drain and chop 1 1/2 cups canned whole tomatoes)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
This Green Beans and Potatoes in Chunky Tomato Sauce is adapted from Cooking Light, and it serves 8.