This Beet and Cabbage Borscht soup is a wonderful winter treat. It uses vegetables that are readily available and inexpensive. Borscht is originated from Ukrainian and is popular in Eastern and Central Europe.
The cheery colour of the Beet and Cabbage Borscht is more like a stew than most soup. Borscht is another soup that freezes well.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 medium size beets, peeled and diced
- 1 small russet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cups finely chopped green cabbage (about 1/3 of small head)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (we used chicken broth)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- salt, pepper and sugar to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- low fat sour cream or plain yogurt, optional
Sydney, Frank and Ken prepared this delightful coloured soup adapted from Bon Appetit.
Prep time: 30 mins; Cook time: 40 mins; Serves 6
This Post Has 0 Comments
Excellent recipe – I’m making this tonight.Thanks!