I did not get to taste this Hearty Bean and Barley Soup in the South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors as Charlene made this second soup for the seniors to bring home. A mixture of kidney beans and spinach give this soup a triple-punch of nutrition in the form of iron, fiber, and calcium. You can also vary this soup by adding shredded chicken or different vegetables.
This is a great soup to freeze in 1 or 2 cups portions to reheat for the future. If you intend to freeze it, do not add the spinach. You may add the spinach just before you serve the soup after reheating. You may need to add an extra half cup to one cup of water to the leftovers, since the barley will continue to absorb liquid over time.
- 1 (19 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dry rosemary, minced
- 2 boxes less-sodium chicken broth (8 cups broth)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 16 ounces bag spinach
- 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese to serve, optional
Paul, Chris O’Brennam and Marcel made this hearty soup adapted from Cooking Light.
Prep time: 15 mins; Cook time: 50 mins