For celebration of Chinese New Year, Stella requested a theme of Chinese dishes to be cooked up in the South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors. So, Charlene prepared three Asian dishes and a popular dessert that you find in Chinese restaurants.
The first dish is an appetizer called Asian Lettuce Cups. Other than lettuce cups, you can also serve the filing in small pita pockets.
- 1.5 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 stalks scallions, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (frozen vegetables are fine)
- 1/2 green apple, finely diced
- 1 head iceberg or bib lettuce, leaves washed and separated
Source: adapted from Jaden Hair’s Steamy Kitchen
Prep time: 30 mins; Cook time: 6 mins; Serve 4 to 6
Helmut and Lorna worked on this recipe.