In the South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors, we sometimes made extra food for the seniors to take home. This is a hearty and healthful bread for breakfast. It is dense and solid.
This recipe is a great recipe to use up the zucchini from the garden. It is a good way to sneak in some vegetables for family with kids who claim that they are allergic to vegetables.
This is a very hearty bread full of goodness from the roll oats, nuts, zucchini and cranberries.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded, unpeeled zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling (optional)