I was able to find time for the canning drop-in again last week. For the month of September, the canning drop-in is conducted at the Minoru Seniors Center, in the kitchen of the cafeteria. The canning drop-in runs on Tuesday, from 5PM to 7PM for the month of August and September.
For last week’s canning drop-in, Karen DW of Your Secret Chef prepared Apple Ginger Chutney for sale at the Applepalooza event which will take place on Oct 2nd in the Apple Orchard at the south end of Gilbert Road, from 10AM to 2PM. It’s a celebration about apple. This is the second annual festival and it includes tasting and sales of apples, baked goods with apples and apple ginger chutney. The price of a jar of 250ml homemade organic apple ginger chutney is only $5 which is a bargain. There is also a lunch by chef Ian Lai ($5), face painting and crafts and wonderful music in the orchard.
This delicious condiment can be made with in-season apples now, or with non-seasonal ingredients any time of the year. It is delicious served with meats like chicken and grilled fish or combined with sour cream or cream cheese in appetizer toppings or sauces.
The apples are home grown and it’s perfectly alright to use the imperfect apples for canning.
- 3 cups (750 ml) prepared Granny Smith apples, about 5 large or 1 lb (500 g)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (we substituted this with a cup of apple as we did not have the red bell pepper)
- 2 cups (500 ml) chopped onion
- 2 cups (500 ml) dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1- 1/2 cups (375 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 cup (250 ml) golden raisins
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) peeled and minced ginger root
- 3/4 teaspoon (4 ml) ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon (4 ml) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) red pepper flakes
Source: Bernadin via Karen DW
Makes about 7 x 250ml jars.
Place 7 clean 250 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.