Chickpea Curry (Chana Masala)
For the main course, Minoo prepared a Chickpea Curry for the spice theme. This is also known as Chana Masala in the Indian culinary term.
This vegetarian curry is loaded with spices like garam masala, cumin and coriander. Minoo served this Chickpea Curry with brown rice.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 inches piece of fresh ginger
- 2 tomatoes, chopped coursely
- 2 potatoes, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 20 oz canned chickpeas
- green chilies, finely chopped (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- fresh cilantro for garnishing
Source: via Minoo
Yield 5 servings.
|Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
When hot, add the onions.
Stir fry for 7 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
Add the minced garlic, ginger and green chilies.
Saute for another 30 seconds. Turn the heat to low.
|Add all the spices i.e. garam Masala, cumin and coriander.
Stir fry for 3 minutes.
Add the cubed potatoes.
|Add tomatoes and tomato pastes.
Cook until the potatoes are almost cooked, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Stir occasionally so the the potatoes wont stick to the pot.
If it is too dry, add some water.
|Add the chickpeas, cover and summer for 10 minutes.
Stir gently occasionally so that the mixture does not stick to the pot.
|Stir in lemon juice just before serving.
Season with salt to taste.
Serve with rice and garnish with chopped cilantro.