Minoo prepared a hearty Mushroom and Barley Soup for her vegetarian theme recipes in the Gilmore Park Church community kitchen.
The Mushroom and Barley Soup is a delicious and healthy dinner option. It can be a quick meal if you can find the quick cooking barley which is pre-steamed and takes only 10 minutes to cook.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds white or brown (cremini) mushrooms, trimmed, sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1/4 cup lightly packed flat leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese
- a splash of milk
Source: this recipe is adapted from Everyday Food.
Makes 4 large servings
Please note that the broth should be vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.