The South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors met again on Valentine’s Day. Michelle had planned a Valentine’s Day menu with the color red in mind. Unfortunately in the morning of the meeting day, Michelle did not feel well and had to leave the kitchen to Stella to manage. We wished Michelle well.
We had a group of very capable seniors and everything went well.
The first dish is a Beety Vegetarian Borscht. It is a sweet vegetable stew of beets, cabbage, carrot and tomatoes.
Here are some nutritional information on beets from Livestrong.com:
- low in calories
- rich in fiber, containing 3.4g per cup
- good source of potassium, 518mg per cup, 15% of your daily requirement
- rich in folate, 136mcg per cup, 34% of your daily requirement
- contain Vitamin C, B6 and protein
- contain unique nutrients that may lower cholesterol level
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 medium beets, peeled and diced
- 1/2 green cabbage, chopped
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon dried dill or 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ground pepper to taste
Source: via Michelle Li