The last superfood featured in the South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors is Quinoa.
Benefits of quinoa includes:
- contains essential amino acids
- good quantities of calcium, phosphorous and iron
- high in protein, the complete protein source, similar to meat source
- high in fiber
This Quinoa Chocolate Cup Cakes is made without flour; i.e. gluten free.
This recipe makes an 8″ round cake or you can make them as cup cakes for easy portion control. We managed to get 30 cup cakes from this recipe.
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 cups milk or soy milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups white or cane sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Source: adapted from Quinoa 365 by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming