It’s fundraiser time again for the South Arm Community Center. It’s been a few years that the South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors participated in the fundraiser for the Richmond Food Bank.
Stella, the coordinator reminded all the participants on hygiene and food safety for this session. This is so because the food made in this session will be sold to the public.
It’s not all work without reward. Two of the seniors made the Un-toppable Black Bean Soup for the group while the rest focused on the recipes for the fundraiser.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 x 19oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup low sodium V8 juice, or tomato juice blend
- salt and pepper to taste
Source: this recipe is adapted from Peas & Thank you