I’m back at the community kitchens after a long break since mid November 2012. The first community kitchen which I attended in 2013 was the South Arm Older Adults Cooking Club.
Michelle prepared three recipes for this kitchen. The first recipe is Kale or Green Crostini. Michelle picked a kale recipe as kale is in season in winter, although we can get almost all year round in Vancouver.
Eating seasonal is the key to:
- fresher and more nutrients
- better flavour
- better for the environment; i.e reduce carbon foot print for imported ones
- usually cheaper
- support local economy
Michelle recommended this website for eating seasonal: http://www.eattheseasons.com.
- 1 loaf of ciabatta or baguette bread
- good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic, peeled and cut in half for rubbing onto the bread
- 3 cloves of garlic for cooking with the kale
- 1 bunch of kale, remove leaves from stems (discard stem) and tear into smaller pieces
- half a lemon for juicing
- salt and pepper to taste
Source: this recipe is adapted from Jamieoliver.com