The facts on this post is extracted from the Antebellum Plantation Map & Guide.
One of the attraction in the Stone Mountain Park is the self guided tour to the Antebellum Plantation. The Antebellum Plantation is a collection of original buildings from around the state of Georgia. They were built between 1792 and 1875.
These buildings represented the diverse lifestyles of the 18th and 19th century Georgia residents.
The above is Kingston, GA, circa 1845. This was the manor house of the 300-acre Allen Plantation. Bryan Allen was an English cotton broker from Savannah who probably built this home as a summerhouse.
The style of the building is characteristic of the late Federal period. Most of the Palladian windows still contain handmade glass. The octagonal columns outside and the overhead timbers downstairs are made of hand-hewn heart pine, adding both strength and beauty to the building.
Various rooms in the Kingston House.
The above is the Doctor’s Cabin; DeKalb County, GA, circa 1826.
This little cabin is believed to be the oldest building in Dekalb County. It was built by Chapmon Powell, one of the country’s first residents. It is typical of most American homes on the American frontier, serving as both a home and a medical office. The logs are “keyed” or locked, into place, making the corners of the cabin strong enough to withstand tornadoes.
Dr. Powell was instrumental in promoting cordial relations with the Cherokee by providing them with lodging and medical care. He also served as Dekalb County Sheriff and in the State Legislature. The house was used as a field hospital in the Battle of Atlanta.
Thornton House, Greene County, GA, circa 1792.
Redman Thornton (1769-1826) built this house as the manor house for an indigo plantation on the Georgia frontier afer relocating from Virginiaa in the early 1790’s. The building style is typical of Federal Era architecture throughout the South.
Barn, Calhoun, GA, circa 1800.
This barn is a rare example of livestock barns found in Georgia in the early 1800s. On display are wagons, carriages, farm tools, and an antique cotton gin.
Vegetable Garden. Homes customarily had vegetable gardens during this period. The garden is farmed organically, as it would have been in the old days, with no chemical pesticides or fertilizers. A varieties of flowers are planted throughout to attract pollinators and discourage insect pests.
Dickey House, Dickey, GA (near Albany), circa 1840.
This house was occupied by descendants of the original owners until it was moved to the park in 1961. Considered an excellent example of neoclassical architecture, the house has 14 rooms (including a mother-in-law room) covering 6250 square feet.
The twin stairways on the front of the house represent welcoming arms and are supported by columns of handmade, curved brick. The house has Palladian arches over the fron and music room doors.
Some of the rooms in the Dickey House.
Formal Garden and Gazebo.
Wealthy families could enjoy elegant gardens like this one that were made solely for beauty and comfort. This lovely space is available for weddings or other rentals.