These Gina’s Perfect Shortbread is easy to work with. You can make them as balls or roll it out with rolling pin and cut into desired shapes. The chocolate chips act as a guide for how thick they could be.
This shortbread isn’t overly sweet and the few chocolate chips add a little sweetness.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (preferred)
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. We used a hand beater as the mixer is being used for another recipe.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Slowly stir in sifted flour and salt until well mixed. Mix in chocolate chips (and/or nuts if desired).
- Form into balls.
- Alternatively, press out on to a lightly floured surface and cut out with cookie cutters, lots of mushing with your fingers normally forms it into a workable mixture. The mixture is quite crumbly.
- Sprinkle with fine sugar before baking.
- Bake on a non stick tray or parchment lined cookie sheet for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees; check before 10 minutes as sometimes it takes less or more, depending on the oven.